We are dedicated to high quality relationship-based social work, that is child-centred, family-minded, strengths and evidence-based, outcome-focused and fair. We are looking for outstanding social workers with a passion for direct work, and will support you with training, reflective group supervision, clinical advice and support, small teams and caseloads, and administrative support.
Our Children’s Services have been rated ‘good’ by Ofsted for over a decade, and we continue to strive for excellence in our practice and the best possible outcomes for our children and families. We have a well-embedded practice framework, underpinned by our above principles. We make extensive use of systemic and strengths-based practices, as well as restorative and attachment-informed approaches. This was noted by Ofsted in 2017 who said “Southwark attracts experienced, high-quality social workers who are keen to work in small units that employ systemic methods… The model is well resourced and features clinical and group supervision alongside manageable caseloads. This promotes influential and effective direct work with children and families. The model is enabling a flourishing social work culture in the local authority, equipping social workers to address complex local concerns in this highly diverse community”.
We are seeking experienced social workers, who have the professional potential and personal attributes that our families need, and who want to be supported to flourish. We have fantastic career progression opportunities. In a focused visit earlier this year, Ofsted confirmed that “Staff have access to a wide range of induction and training courses. They report that they are supported and encouraged to engage in training and development, and these events provide good opportunities to reflect and focus on practice improvement”.
As an experienced social worker choosing Southwark you will benefit from:
- Small teams with high managerial support – a lower ratio of workers to managers than most authorities. Regular group supervision, as well as monthly 1-1 supervision
- Access to further support and targeted specialist interventions from systemic practitioners and psychologists, embedded within teams
- Low caseloads (counted per child), below the national average, and administrative support, to help you spend more time with families
- An extensive range of excellent community and specialist services to support your work with families, in a borough committed to ‘Keeping Families Strong’ and a ‘Fairer Future’ for all.
- A competitive salary (£37,491 rising with annual increments to £44,598), good pension scheme and flexible working
- Annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days – rising to 36 days with continuous service
- Ongoing training and career development opportunities, including the Professional Qualification Scheme, through which you can apply to be sponsored for your choice of learning to support your individual needs and ambitions. We also offer the accredited Foundation Level in Systemic Practice for those who continue their career in Southwark, as well as training in restorative practices, secure base, and attachment or trauma informed practice.
- Support, advice and guidance from dedicated specialist staff including Child Exploitation Coordinator and Court Case Manager, as well as a wide range of other support and learning and development opportunities.
- Cycle to work or season-ticket loans, and a range of other employee benefits
We have exciting opportunities in Assessment and Intervention, Care, Care Leavers and Safeguarding & Family Support Services. For those qualified after 2012, we are ONLY accepting applications from those who have already completed their ASYE year. Please do apply, or email email@example.com if you have questions or need further information.
Additional salary details
A competitive salary (£37,491 rising with annual increments to £44,598), good pension scheme and flexible working
For roles in Assessment and Intervention and Safeguarding and Family Support, we are offering for a time limited period a Welcome Payment of £3000 for joining Southwark, followed by a retention payment of £2400 per year for your first two years, and £3600 after three years.