Southwark Council is the Freeholder for 14,000+ leaseholders. Part of the Homeownership department’s responsibility is to ensure the proper billing and collection of the leaseholders’ service charges. These bills can be for large amounts of money, so where appropriate, we offer the leaseholders a loan in the form of a mortgage to pay for the works.
The mortgage officer will be part of the team that manages and administrates the secured debt portfolio for service charges.
Be responsible for the day to day administration of Council held mortgages in accordance with prevailing legislation including Housing, Local Government, Finance, Landlord and Tenant and Data Protection Acts.
To advise on the development of the loans system to ensure loan and mortgage accounts are accurate. To be the customer’s first point of contact with respect to all issues relating to the Service Charge mortgage portfolio. These include mandatory, discretionary, housing association, historical Right-to-buy, and debts with court order charges.
You’ll have knowledge of:
- The pertinent associated regulations and directions, including Landlord and Tenant and Housing Acts
- Accountancy principles
- Basic housing management services
You’ll have experience in:
- Applying accountancy principles
- Debtors’ management systems, the use of computerised spreadsheets, and other computer software such as Microsoft Office
- Researching, compiling and presenting reports and procedures to a range of forums
- Administration work
Skills & abilities:
- To prioritise effectively and meet deadlines, particularly when faced with changing priorities
- Proactive, able to work on own initiative and be self-motivated and committed to providing a service to customers
- High degree of interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate at different levels both orally and in writing and able to write complex reports
- Exceptional attention to detail and organisational skills
If you are interested in applying for this role, please complete the application form and submit your suitability for the role, by using the Personal Specification to highlight your skills. The Personal Specification can be found at the bottom of this page under attachments.
This post required an enhanced DBS check.
Closing Date: 23 November 2020
Interview and Assessment Date: 07 December 2020
(COVID-19) - information for job applicants Southwark Council are following the most recent Government guidelines surrounding Corona virus. During this period, we still look forward to receiving your application and if successful, we will be conducting interviews remotely via video link. Details will be confirmed via email, if successful.