Can You Inspire Southwark Council to shape a new future for public leisure services?
Southwark is a large, ambitious and progressive council with a ‘can do’ attitude and enviable reputation. As a Council, we are successful, passionate and forward-thinking. In June 2023, Leisure Services will transfer from the current operator to full Council management. This is a unique opportunity to be part of building a new future for leisure services in Southwark. This opportunity offers a significant challenge to build a new organisation ready to operate a 12 million pound business by June 2023. If you enjoy a challenge, can see the bigger picture and maintain an eye for detail, we would like to hear from you. This role demands vision, passion and inspirational leadership to build a high performing operation.
We are looking for an inspirational, and experienced Leisure Operations Manager to utilise facility management expertise to provide excellent Leisure facilities that are fit for purpose and provide a safe environment for customers and staff, while managing a sound, robust and timely trading service across the insourced Leisure Services Division.
The role is responsible for ensuring the council continues to provide excellent quality leisure services for our residents in the future and in accordance with the relevant council strategies, Fairer Future Promises, council plan targets and Southwark Stands Together values – the Council’s commitment to addressing racial inequality.
To lead delivery, embedding and championing of an effective quality management and assurance system to support success in delivering a commercially viable long term service.
The Leisure Division sits within the Department of Environment and Leisure, which is responsible for the day-to-day management of parks and open spaces, trees, sports and leisure, cemeteries, youth and play, highways, roads, parking, refuse collection, street cleansing, culture and libraries. It also looks after public health, trading standards and consumer safety.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of operational practices to support the development and growth of a new service, including digital applications.
- Experience in planning, setting goals and tasks and implementing systems to monitor performance.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of building management, including energy management, digital applications, repairs and maintenance management, planned maintenance programmes, lifecycle cost planning and responding to building related problems.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of health and safety, risk assessment, safeguarding, prevent, equality and all statutory obligations associated with facility operation.
- Experience working as an operations manager and delivery of excellent facility management processes.
- Experience of managing and deployment of staff and resources including, recruitment, training and performance review of staff.
If you would like to informally discuss this role, please contact David Pugh at firstname.lastname@example.org
To make an application, please click on the apply now button below, with the following prepared:
- your CV
- a covering letter that sets out your motivation for applying for this secondment, and why you think your skills and experience make you suitable. No more than two side of A4.
Additional salary details
- Job type – Permanent (Full Time)
- Might be required to work weekends and evenings to meet the needs of the service.
- No DBS check required.
- Comply with and promote the Council’s Equal opportunities policy
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an Assessment Centre.
Benefits and more information:
Application Closing Date: 11.59pm on 17/07/2022
Interview and Assessment Date: 11 th August, 2022
We are an organisation who is passionate about our people and understands that richness of diversity is a requirement to provide the best possible services to our communities. This is demonstrated through our council-wide ambitious commitment to tackle racial inequality in our communities and workforce through our Southwark Stands Together initiative. We particularly welcome applications from members of the black, Asian and ethnic minority communities to increase representation at senior management level in the Council